Saturday, October 18, 2014

reading


I am finding myself devouring books this long and far from home weekend - two down, one to go.

Hold the Dark by William Giraldi:
If Quentin Tarentino wrote books, he could have written this one. An eccentric story filled with over the top bloodshed and odd humor. It takes place in Alaska where everything is weird anyway. I give it three out of four stars (or bullets).

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman: 
As imaginative a story as Raold Dahl, Maurice Sendak, or Lewis Carroll could have written. I loved this book and reading it brought me back to my own childhood. The strange combination of terror and comfort that comes in the night. I give this book five out of four stars.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: it looks promising ....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane two nights ago. I wanted more!

Am trying really hard to finish The Goldfinch after having put it aside for months.

I wish you good reads.

Anonymous said...

Nice to fall into books and not come out for a while. I've yet to read a Gaimen, but everyone raves, so he will be on my list. xox

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Thanks for the reviews. I am always looking for a good book.

Elizabeth said...

I love being on a reading binge -- it's so satisfying and, at least for me, deeply centering and calming.

Jill said...

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. Looks like there is much relaxing!

*jean* said...

ooo cool...thanks, i'll add them to my list! xo