Thursday, September 12, 2013

captain ahab comes to dinner

funny how the things you just drop into a pocket can be such a source of inspiration


my nasty bottle caps picked up on vacation have been begging for a purpose in life


 I've nailed them into a block of wood that I covered with pages from Melville's Moby Dick


here's an outake of our dinner table conversation the other night:
I showed it to The Teach and he said with a smile, "Another thing of whimsy ..."
and I said, "it has a dark side - the description of the decapitation of a whale on Ahab's ship"
and my youngest said, "the flag with chinese writing goes perfect with it - you know with illegal whaling and stuff"
and my oldest said, "I think you mean Japan"
and my middle one said, "but it's a global thing - and look, three of my bottle caps are on it"


and Captain Ahab jumped ship right about then

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

How adorable. Love this smiling piece. xox

Little Messy Missy said...

LOVE IT!
XOXOXOXO

Sue said...

Got to love those dinner table conversations......and how cool that your piece of whimsy prompted one:)

Halle said...

We've had some deeper dinner conversations lately as well. Must be coming with the aging of our kiddos. Fun to talk to them on a different level.

Jill said...

We just got back from the library and I brought home a kid's version of Moby Dick and then I open up to read this on your blog,ha! Love your art!

Yvonne said...

Isn't it amazing how one little piece of great art can get people talking. Great post! My friend made a mermaid out of found trash on the beach. Imagination rules!

Caterina Giglio said...

: D

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Enjoyed reading your conversations. and loved the fabulous piece of art that inspired it.

BTW, I've taken six paper umbrellas apart that I got at the dollar store, and not a single one of them had that little flag. I feel so cheated (grin).

Elizabeth said...

I wish that I had had this piece for a college-level show and tell when Dr. Zug taught us Moby Dick in our American Novel class.

Kim Mailhot said...

Love the Teach's comment best !
You do bring whimsy, in its wonderful dark and light, to life.
Happy Creating, Kim !

*jean* said...

oh to be a fly on the wall during that conversation! love the story to the art...xo

Linda Jo said...

I love it!! And I love whimsy.... great piece! Your kids are great!

Annie Cholewa said...

Missed this. Your things of whimsy are among the most interesting I know ... love it Kimmie :)