Friday, August 14, 2009

A Land of Golden Light

Before my trip to Australia, a friend who had been there described the golden light.
Here in the Pacific Northwest, the light can best be described as pearly.
A sort of silvery blueish greyish cast over everything.
The contrast was absolutely striking to me.
I felt as though it were The middle of October - which is our only golden time.
Here, it's only the season of the turning color of leaves and bright sunshine that gives everything a golden bath of light.
July in Australia is the dead of winter for them.
But the light is golden and warm and alive.

These pictures were taken at a very old seaside cemetery south of Bondi Beach in Sydney.
The sky is an amazing blue.
The statuary shows off the golden and warm sun.
See if you can find the moon in two of the pictures ....




6 comments:

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

Amazing blues and shades of white AND hearing about the golden light...perfectly wonderful!!!
I did spy the moon ever so lightly shining in the sky...twice ;)

Linda Vincent said...

I found the moon on two!! (See how excited you've got me!) Welcome back Kimmie...sounds like you've had a wonderful time. Look forward to hearing more about your travels.
xo

Terri Kahrs said...

Ohhhh, I DID find the moon in two of them! The blue in the sky is unreal . . . so saturated, wonderful and rich. A brilliant background for the statuary. Thank you SO much for sharing! Hugs, Terri

Heather said...

What a wonderful blue sky - we haven't had nearly enough of those in the UK this summer. Yes, I did see the moon in two pictures. I love the carving on one of the stone crosses - a beautiful swag of leaves and flowers.

ELK said...

each image more amazing than the first!

Elizabeth said...

How did I miss these gorgeous photos?